SCHOOL OF ARTS HALL
For many years the original hall was used as a billiard room and this was a very popular game among the men of the area.
During the First World War any organisation running a function for farewelling soldiers or welcoming them home, or raising money for any purpose connected with the war effort or charity, was given free use of the hall and associated equipment with the School of Art paying for the lighting.
This cost the School of Art quite a lot of revenue but even so the hall was paid for by 1920 which was a great achievement under those circumstances.
The original hall (brick building at centre) was built in 1883 by the Oddfellows Lodge.
There’s no surviving record of when the School of Art was actually formed but the secretary retired in 1920 after 25 years in the position so that it was in operation in 1896 – but whether this was the original secretary is unclear.
Extracts from hall diaries and annual reports:
02/11/1902 The School of Arts offered to buy the hall for £80, terms £10 deposit + £10 annually at 4% interest.
23/7/1903 Fees set at 2 shillings per quarter, ladies and keys 1 shilling plus entrance fee of 2 shillings and sixpence for new members.
‘The progress as reported by the officers and committee re purchase of the hall from the Oddfellows trustees was brought to a successful issue, and the hall was purchased for the sum of £80, and the property rested in the hands of the following trustees E Hatherington, F Lacky, W H Rudge, J Seery Jnr and Robert Murray. The property was transferred to them on 4 August 1903.’
The increase in fees from 1 shilling to 2 shillings has resulted in membership dropping from 84 to 42.
3/4/1905 That a wool shed be built cost £6.9.0.
21/7/1906 Caretaker and librarian be paid £5.5.0 per year to have the building open 6 nights a week from 7-11pm.
6/8/1906 Committee formed for new building for library and meeting room.
3/9/1906 Suggested 2 rooms be built 12 foot x 12 foot at a cost of approximate £40.
9/10/1906 Resolved that 2 rooms be built.
20/10/1906 Only tender for rooms E Bernie £51.5.0 accepted.
3/12/1906 E Bernie quoted £2.5.6 to concrete porch and steps .. too dear .. offered him £1.10.0 . Bruce declined so the secretary did the job himself.
30/3/1908 Hospital committee granted free use of rooms for meetings. Advertising to be put in both local papers Robertson Advocate and Moss Vale Auctioneer
27/9/1911 Mr Rudge be written to and ask if he will sell adjoining block of land on which stands the old butcher shop and what price he would want.
25/10/1911 Mr Rudge replied £75 too dear but thanked him for the offer.
26/6/1912 Caretaker, librarian salary now up to £1 per month.
17/7/1912 Department of Agriculture asked to send someone to give a lecture on cauliflower and cabbage diseases.
28/7/1915 Piano purchased for £40 provided Mrs B Moule approves of the piano.
Hall to be opened with a plain and fancy dress ball on Wednesday August 18 (1915). Tickets 5 Shillings double , 3 Shillings single. President of Wingecarribee Shire Council Mr H Lansdowne be asked to open the hall at 8pm.
31/8/1915 That a comprehensive note of thanks be placed on the books to all who assisted with the opening hall, but especially the ladies who graciously supplied the refreshments.
29/5/1917 Permission given for erection of monument and roll of honour at the front of the hall.
A History Of The Burrawang School of Arts, 1883 - 2009
Published and launched in Dec 2010, this detailed history, compiled by Sally Darling gives a fascinating insight into not only the School of Arts but the village of Burrawang.
Copies can be obtained by contacting Annie Jones, Burrawang School of Arts Committee 4886 4565, 0418 272 500.
SUMMARY OF THE HALL’S HISTORY:
1883 Oddfellows Hall built
1903 SoA bought hall from Oddfellows Lodge
1905 Wool shed built
1906 Library and meeting room built on the eastern side
1914 Meeting room extended
1915 New hall built
1919 Veranda added on front
1922 Kitchen built by voluntary labour
1925 Hall extended and stage built
1930 Electricity connected
1965 Septic tank installed
Hoddle Street looking west. The hall is to the extreme left.
The old Co-op building. The house on the right is now 5 Hoddle Street, opposite the Primary School.
The General Store, complete with hitching rail. This delightful old building has been lovingly
renovated by the owners (Mr & Mrs G Harding) and is now the Burrawang General Store Cafe.