CHURCHES IN BURRAWANG
St David’s Anglican Church
St Peter’s Catholic Church
4:30pm, 3rd Sunday of the month
All enquiries, phone 02 4885 1210 or email
1st, 3rd, 5th Sunday – 8.00am
2nd, 4th Sunday – 5.00pm
About St David’s
St David’s Anglican Church is a wonderful venue for a wedding. The local parishioners are very helpful and do all they can to make the Big Day something special. The quiet, out-of-the way location of the Church overlooks some amazingly beautiful countryside allowing for many opportunities for photos.
The church celebrated its 125th anniversary in 2011.
It was considered wrong that the Minister of Bowral and Wingecarribee should reside in Bowral so that a parsonage was commenced at Burrawang in 1876.
The close by but smaller town of Wildes Meadow showed potential for growth so the first church/school and St David’s were placed between the two villages. In fact the majority of the congregation came from Wildes Meadow and Yarrunga rather that Burrawang itself.
On 13th December 1936, the Jubilee Service was held with Rev. R B Robinson, General Secretary of the Home Mission Society, preaching. During Mr Arnold’s ministry the numbers climbed steadily.
The ornate pseudo pipe organ had been purchased originally for 150 pounds and needed repairs in 1905, 1907 and 1914 and was considered of little value. Soon after, a more practical instrument was obtained, but the people could not agree to dispose of the old organ. This matter was raised from time to time and at last a most satisfactory solution was found in 1975. The electronic organ purchased a few years earlier was neatly fitted into the shell of the ‘pipe’ organ by Mr Danny Moran and Mr Alan Ford, to the delight of parishioners. This organ has now been replaced by another electronic organ that has been donated to the church and is awaiting fitting to the original ‘pipe’ facade.
The 1980s saw a major alteration to the internal fittings of St David’s Church Burrawang. There was a movement to modernise the building in an attempt to attract a larger congregation. The old wall lining was removed to expose the original bricks, a slow combustion heater and ceiling fan were installed, and the pews were removed and replaced by stackable chairs. The orientation of the building was also changed. This caused unrest in the congregation and in the two villages of Burrawang and Wildes Meadow, the repercussion of which is still felt today. On the completion of the new building at St John’s Robertson, there has been an endeavour to return St David’s to a more traditional state. Unfortunately not all the pews could be located or returned.
Through the years St David’s has been the sanctuary for prayer and praise – witnessing baptisms, weddings and funerals along with regular services of worship. Even today the Church has proven to be a sought after venue for weddings. There have been some charming celebrations set against the awe inspiring back drop of the surrounding countryside, on the hill chosen by those dedicated folk long ago.
The site for the earlier church/school is some 400 yards south west of the present site of St David’s and it was built of pit sawn timber and shingles.
A letter from Bishop Barker, 28th January 1867 to Rev. J S Hassall stated he planned to open this church/school on Monday 18th February 1867. This building was also used by the Presbyterians and Wesleyan Methodists for combined church services until their own churches were built (1887 and 1874).
Rev. James Hassall of Berrima came to minister to the congregation in the church/school before the formation of the parish of Bowral with Wingecarribee.
The land on which St David’s was to be built had been a grant of 237 acres to John Staggs in 1856. Charles Moule purchased this in 1871. He sold 9½ acres of this to the church for 165 pounds 16 shillings for the purpose of the erection of a church and parsonage, although the parsonage was to be situated at Burrawang rather than next to the church.
St David’s church, made of sandstone bricks and originally a shingled roof, was constructed at a cost of 1300 pounds. Apparently, John Hayter fired the bricks between Wildes Meadow and Avoca and they were originally intended for the first Bank at Burrawang. Mr William Bunt and Mr John Webb bought the bricks to the site by horse teams.
St David’s Church was licensed and was to have opened on 15th October 1886 by the Bishop of Sydney, Alfred Barry, but there was such heavy rain that the ceremony could not be held. Thus the opening took place on 22nd October 1886 with Rev. J D Langley of St Phillip’s Sydney officiating. It is written in a local paper that a copy of the ‘Moss Vale Scrutineer’ and the ‘Burrawang Herald’ were placed under the foundation stone. Miss Hayter was the organist and after the service some 300 people sat down to lunch in a pavilion at the rear of the church.
All enquiries, contact Megan Moore on 02 4886 4402 or email.